Pages

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Jay's artists statement

My work is about nourishment, both in the physical sense
of delivering sustenance to the body in the form of food and drink, and in the
subtler sense of nourishing the soul. For me, if a pot brings some
small measure of beauty and joy to a person's life, it has done its job. The pots I value most are those that somehow seem to
breathe
freely and effortlessly; pots that embody strength and vitality, yet
also resonate with calm and ease.


Although a uniform product can be rapidly turned out using stiff
clay and an electric wheel, I
throw using very soft clay on a slowly-turning kickwheel. Pots made this way naturally and easily develop a strong character, in much the same way as slowly aged wine or cheese. In
order to retain the freshness of the soft clay, I handle my pots as little
as possible and finish them simply, often with a single glaze that
reveals the
subtle marks and inflections of the wheel.



I'm currently working on designing a range of tableware characterized by contemporary, functional shapes with proportions
inspired by the human body; surfaces that are pleasing to touch; restrained
decoration and color; and a sense of the original softness of the clay in
the finished piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment